Wednesday, 11 February 2009

The 2009 Nihilist Film Festival



The Nihilist Film Festival has been running now for about eleven years - it was one of the first film festivals back in 2001 (It's third year running) I sent my film to. I don't think it played, and recent submissions haven't played either but I must admit I was taking a gamble because my recent films don't really have Nihilist thematics attached to them, and also I can understand that I shouldn't have expected them to believe in my films, just to either like or dislike them, which they never said either way, only expressed that my films didn't quite fit to the thematic.

However, you never know, I may just write a tune called "Walk like a belief system" or some such pun on Egypt and Nile, which isn't very funny but may make some kind of point. Regardless, The Nihilist Film Festival is entry fee free, so if you have works that may be relevant to the festival then stamp and deliver!

The Nihilist Film Festival is currently accepting submissions to their 2009 film festival held in Santa Monica.

New Worlds Websters Dictionary defines Nihilism as ...

# n. 1.a) the denial of the existence of any basis for knowledge or truth
# b) the general rejection of customary beliefs in morality, religion, etc.
# 2. the belief that there is no meaning or purpose in existence


It is interesting to note that The Nihilist Movement was a Russian anarchist movement which rejected all authorities. The word Nihilist although German in origin was fleshed out publicly by Ivan Turgenev in his novel "Father and Sons", and if you care to read any Turgenev he is a superb writer, two books of note I have read of his are Smoke and The Diary of a Superfluous Man. I recommend to add him to your reading list.

There are many different forms of Nihilism, and such concepts as the meta-ethical and Error theory fall into realms of psycho-subjective experience and functionalism that can be seen artistically beyond Dada and well into Pataphysics, where our mad friend Alfred Jarry liked to conceptualise.

If you would like to read further on Nihilism, you can visit the Nihilist Corner homepage.

The Nihilist characteristic is not faithfully represented by the Cohen Brother's "Big Lebowski" although I did find them kind of cool, and they certainly could be very much probable in the Nihilist dogma.

No comments:

Feed me, Seymour!

I like to watch

Loading...

CC

Creative Commons License
snuffboxfilms by rups is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
Based on written and pictorial posts at snuffboxfilms.free.

Further reading ...

ping rss