Saturday, 29 August 2009

THX 1138

 
Snapshot from Movie-Mail-Online.

Science Fiction or Speculative Fiction is a tough one with me, Quentin Tarantino stated that the last genre he'd tackle would probably be Sci-Fi, but then he said "Never say never". Speaking of, I saw the preview of Inglorious Basterds, and I don't like Brad Pitt what-so-ever, and so I think I will give that film a miss. For me Brad Pitt has about as much nuance as a Glockenspiel, and I think if Quentin was going to be inspired by a World War II film, he would have had a better impact remaking Uncertain Glory by Raoul Walsh.

My issue was that as far as Speculative Fiction goes I was fed on Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, and Harry Harrison. Not a particularly comprehensive list of Science Fiction authors, but important ones. As far as films go, I watched Brazil as a youth and loved it, I also dug Star Wars (Who really didn't as a kid), I was very much into Blake's Seven and Doctor Who. Other films like Woody Allen's Sleeper, and Mel Brook's Spaceballs kept me entertained as far as star gazing went. The influence of science fiction over my viewing lifestyle is minimal, why, I don't really know. Red Dwarf I found mildly entertaining, and I was hyptonised by Mike Batt's Zero Zero, not that anyone really remembers that. Mike Batt was a member of The Wombles.

Having recently watched George Lucas's first major student work THX 1138, I was immediately impressed. George Lucas to me is like Bill Gates to Microsoft. Overwhelming producers of mass entertainment on Budgets that are so huge that asking for change from a Billion Dollar note seems utterly out of the question. Yet, THX 1138 is a fine piece of work. The charming thing about THX 1138 is the lack of establishing "context".

Although I find that films like The Truman Show are a much more accurate forecast for our future Utopias/Dystopias, THX 1138 looks at one very serious problem in society and that is the duplicity to pacify and syndicate conformity.

The film is not without its humor, and I particularly found amusing Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasence walking through "white space" to try and escape their confinement only to have another prisoner walking towards them and informing them the way out was the way they had just come from.

I recommend you have a look at this film if you would like to see a piece of Science Fiction that predominately stays faithful to early ideas speculated in contemporary Sci-Fi.

No comments:

Feed me, Seymour!

I like to watch

Loading...

CC

Creative Commons License
snuffboxfilms by rups is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
Based on written and pictorial posts at snuffboxfilms.free.

Further reading ...

ping rss