Thursday, 8 October 2009

The Beautiful and Damned




I thought I would post the trailer for Richard Wolstencroft's The Beautiful and Damned, based on the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Personally I preferred This Side of Paradise, but am interested to see how Richard has interpreted Fitzgerald's spiralling social gluttony in a contemporary context. The film features Kristen Condon and Ross Ditcham.


There is a similar feel to Fitzgerald's early novels to work like Aldous Huxley's Crome Yellow, which was published around about the same time, and a distinct comparison easily made between these novels and the work of Ivan Turgenev. They are "society" studies, and I will interested to see how Richard maps that through modern times. Whilst I'm on the subject of Fitzgerald, an excellent novel to read is Hemingway's A Moveable Feast where you get an insight into Fitzgerald whilst he was writing these novels through the eyes of another giant literary force.

The film has screened at The 10th F.Scott Fitzgerald Conference in Baltimore, I wonder if John Waters was there.

No comments:

Feed me, Seymour!

I like to watch

Loading...

CC

Creative Commons License
snuffboxfilms by rups is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
Based on written and pictorial posts at snuffboxfilms.free.

Further reading ...

ping rss