Friday, 23 October 2009

The Comic Strip 1981

Tonight I felt the laughter deep from within my person of which I haven't felt for about eight years. I love The Comic Strip Presents ... as a series it is fantastic and totally original, well, perhaps funnily enough it possibly has certain similarities to Spike Milligan's "Q", but Spike would hate that, as he never liked The Comic Strip nor the comedians involved in "alternative comedy".

Before Julien Temple shot a documentary called The Great Rock 'n' Rolls Swindle with The Sex Pistols , he made a poetic documentary film about a new variety of stand-up comedians in Soho called The Comic Strip, these comedians included the primary cast of Adrian Edmondson, Rik Mayall, Alexei Sayle, Dawn French, Peter Richardson, Nigel Planner, and Jennifer Saunders.

The documentary is called The Comic Strip and I watched it for the first time tonight, 28 years after it was made and I found myself in absolute hysterics. It is one of the funniest things I have now embedded into my mind that I have watched in a long time. I like a fairly short list of comedies as far as ones go that surprise me, shows like Open All Hours, One Foot in the Grave, and Father Ted genuinely allow me to be surprised enough to laugh. Normally I see a joke coming or the humour is too pronounced for me to really be taken unawares, but this effort by Julien Temple is absolutely spot on.

Below I have three grabs from three particular moments that still cause me to weep with laughter. If you manage to catch this documentary, beware of these scenes, they are splendidly funny.






No comments:

Feed me, Seymour!

I like to watch

Loading...

CC

Creative Commons License
snuffboxfilms by rups is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
Based on written and pictorial posts at snuffboxfilms.free.

Further reading ...

ping rss